Everton have received a big injury boost ahead of their Premier League encounter against Tottenham Hotspur this weekend after it was revealed that Lucas Digne is available for selection once again.
What’s the word?
The 28-year-old played no part in the Toffees’ 2-1 defeat at the hands of Wolves last time out after a muscle complaint, but Rafael Benitez confirmed that the defender has made a successful return to training.
“Digne is fine,” the Spaniard said in Friday’s press conference. “He has been training, so hopefully he will be available.”
Benitez then revealed that Fabian Delph and Jarrad Branthwaite are also possible inclusions in the matchday squad as Everton attempt to clear their lengthy list of absentees.
“I think that we had, at the beginning analysing the squad, too many players who had been injured in the past,” he said.
“That was one of the big issues, to bring players back. We have Delph and Branthwaite coming back.”
However, that’s where the good news ended for fans of the Merseyside club, as Benitez went on to confirm that several other first team stars are set to remain on the sidelines for a little while longer
He outlined: “Still, we are missing Doucoure, Calvert-Lewin and Yerry Mina who are key players for us. We are bringing players back and hopefully, they will have a big part in our success if we can win our games now.”
Benitez will be delighted about Digne
The news that Digne will be able to make his comeback will leave Benitez feeling delighted, given the left-back’s importance to the team.
As per WhoScored, the France international has averaged 2.6 tackles per league game this season, the second-highest tally amongst his teammates.
Digne has also proven himself to be a significant attacking threat with the ball at his feet. Throughout his nine top-flight starts, the left-back has produced an average of 1.9 key passes and 1.6 crosses per match, placing him second compared to his colleagues for both metrics, as per WhoScored.
Indeed, Ben Godrey – who filled in at left-back against Wolves in the 27-year-old’s absence, endured a difficult night up against Nelson Semedo and Francisco Trincao. The ex-Norwich defender was the Toffees’ lowest-rated player at Molineux, being beaten in two dribbles and losing seven of his 13 duels, as per SofaScore.
Therefore, Digne’s potential inclusion from the off against Spurs will be a significant bonus to Everton as they attempt to end a three-game losing streak.
In other news… Benitez may unearth Everton gem in “skilful” 18 y/o prodigy, he’s an “intelligent” player